Sunday 28 March 2010

Laser Cutting

This week I have been finalising my laser cut patterns and getting them ready to be sent off. I am having some patterns cut in leather from drawings I have done. Below is an example of leather laser-cut from one of the laser websites I have been looking up, and it seems to cut really well...
I was really inspired by Loewe's S/S 2010 collection, where a whole dress was delicately laser cut creating a lacey effect in the leather. It had a really interesting, detailed effect which I love, and aim to create in my leather pieces...
I found it has been a lot more difficult than I thought to get my images ready for cutting. They have to be in vector format to send off to the laser cutters, which means doing it in illustrator. I had my drawn patterns that I wanted cutting, but they needed to be copied and changed in illustrator to the correct sizes and formatting, etc which took quite a lot of time...

These are the drawings that I am going to get cut, and have prepared in the correct format. I wasn't able to do the third pattern I wanted for my jacket, because the pattern was too close together and complicated, so wouldn't work. I could draw a similar pattern again straight into illustrator, but this would take a lot of time, so I may consider doing something different for the panels I was going to have cut...


I am really pleased that I got the patterns done, because I have learnt a lot of new skills using illustrator. I had never used it before, but now I know some of the basics of how to draw and format etc, which will always be useful to me.

2 comments:

  1. designs for the jewelry which has never been possible earlier are seen created with help of Laser cutting. not only beautiful jewelry is manufactured, in fact it is durable as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your. 3d printer laser

    ReplyDelete